You may have noticed your Wii glowing this morning (or last night). Turns out there is a new Wii software update, specifically regarding the Wii Shop Channel. From what the message said, the update corrects an issue that would allow some illicit game saves to run. Not sure if that is an anti-piracy attempt or something.
Update: Reader John writes in and points us to Wiibrew, who is reporting this update kills The Homebrew Channel, as well as the Mplayer that makes DVD play possible. If you’ve already followed our guide for playing DVDs and installed The Homebrew Channel, then you’re fine.
Chances are, your Wii may have told you this already — either through the friendly blue light or a message that pops up when you load the Wii Shop Channel. But in case it hasn’t, Nintendo has sent out a new Wii firmware update. In Japan, the software is up to 3.4. The Shop Channel is down for maintenance as well, as all references to Wii Points are changed to “Nintendo Points” and various other pre-DSi maintenance is done. But in America and Europe, not much seems to have changed.
Other reported effects include improved Shop Channel loading speed, possibly reorganized item listings, and nothing.
Here is what the update does to your Wii.
Wii Points will soon be called Nintendo Points, and all references as such will be updated. All other functionality with Nintendo Points will remain the same.
The controller usage explanation screen will be updated.
The controller usage explanation screen will be separated from the purchase screen. Along with this, the user will be prompted to confirm that they have any necessary accessories before being able to press the Purchase button.
The design of the icons displayed will be updated.
Doesn’t look like it affects Wiikey which is good for Wiikey owners.
This is from gbatemp:
* This blocks new installations of anything fakesigned, that is, Homebrew Channel, wads (legal and illegal), Starfall, cIOS, anything that installs IOSes secretly like AnyRegion Changer or AnyTitle Deleter, xyzzy and DVDX (used for apps which have DVD support). This list is not exhaustive, but please add to it if you think of anything else.
* If something is already installed then it isn’t affected, like Homebrew Channel, etc.
* The homebrew developers are already planning how they could work against this.
* You currently need this update to access the Wii Shop Channel.
* If you already have the Homebrew Channel and DVDX, and aren’t planning to install anything big that will affect your Wii, then you are most likely unaffected. Normal everyday apps such as Homebrew Browser are completely unaffected as long as you already have the Homebrew Channel.
* It updates all IOSes with the fakesigning bug, and adds IOS51.
var AdBrite_Title_Color = ‘0000FF’;
var AdBrite_Text_Color = ‘000000’;
var AdBrite_Background_Color = ‘FFFFFF’;
var AdBrite_Border_Color = ‘FFFFFF’;
var AdBrite_URL_Color = ‘0000FF’;